Skip to content

On30 C-16 Kitbashes: West and East Coast Versions

February 9, 2011

I recently had a client who sent me a pair of On30 C-16’s by Broadway Limited Imports. The Detail on these locomotives was disappointing to say the least, the sharpness of the detail was globby at best, so I set out to look through the Precision Scale Catalog to get the necessary parts, of which PSC actually has many pages devoted to extra parts for the Denver & Rio Grande C-16 2-8-0 specifically. So that was a huge relief. I then spent the next few months adding all the details, piping it for airbrakes and replacing the Domes, Bell, and kitbashing the tenders to look less like the bizarre rebuilt tender featured on the stock model.

The “Western” version has a heavily kitbashed whaleback tender (made from two Wiseman model services kits) a re-positioned headlight. and blanked over front cab windows so that it represents the style of locomotive you may find on the SP Narrow Gauge in Owens Valley or the Nevada County Narrow gauge.

On30 2-8-0

On30 2-8-0

The “Eastern” version is essentially re-detailed stock in it’s appearance, but the tender has been cut down and a stripwood coal bunker has been extended atop the stock tender to increase coal capacity. I then weathered and filled the tender with coal from Arizona Rock & Mineral Company (it’s real coal!) the weathered it.
On30 2-8-0
On30 2-8-0

3 Comments leave one →
  1. Thomas Farrell permalink
    December 5, 2011 8:42 pm

    Just came across this site by accident, hey, those are my locomotives! 🙂 He did a great job on the detailing. One of the locomotives will not track though, I still haven’t figured out the problem (11/05/11)

    • December 5, 2011 9:00 pm

      Hey Tom! Thank you for the compliment. I’m baffled why it’s still having issues. I remember you saying something about the siderods being out of alignment. Let me know if you’d want another locomotive detailed at some point.

    • Bill B. permalink
      March 11, 2012 1:44 am

      I have had one of the C-16 which has remained in the box for about 4 years now. A friend tried it on his layout and it would not track well for him either. My problem with it involved backing into a 22 inch radius while beginning a downward grade. Tonight I got serious with, removed bottom plate and found nothing amiss. Reassembled and noticed the rear of the bottom plate was being bent as the screw drew it tight to the frame. The drivers would not line up to a straight edge particularly on one side. So I loosened the screw, slipped in 0.025 thick shim (Kadee fiber washers) and retightened the screw. The bottom plate is straight now and the #4 driver seems to have more vertical movement. Try it. Bill

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: